Semantic Stargate Wiki — The semantic reference regarding the Stargate universe.
The scanning grenade is a device used by the Goa'uld to scan any possible presence on the other side of a Stargate wormhole.
These silver hand held spherical devices were presumably employed during exploration of new worlds with a Stargate. It is thrown through the Stargate whereupon it lands in its new environment. Once there, part of the device opens on the top and emits an orange scanning beam. Somehow the datas are received on the other side (SG1: "Children of the Gods").
Apophis used this device on Earth to find a host for his queen Amaunet (SG1: "Children of the Gods").
As a wormhole has been established on the SGC's Stargate, Senior Airman Weterings approches the event horizon. As she near it, a small circular metallic device drops from the wormhole at her feet. It emits noise and an orange beam scans her. When she picks up the device, Serpent guards come out the worhmole and she drops it.
Later, a Serpent guard picks up the scanning grenade before leaving the Stargate room.
- This device is only seen in "Children of the Gods", no more use of it is seen elsewhere in the series.
- There are those who say that the Goa'uld hand device is used to receive the datas transmitted by the device. However, this information is mainly fanwanking and thus not part of the Stargate canon.
The scanning grenade emeting a beam that scans Weterings.
Episodes featuring the Goa'uld scanning grenade
01/02. "Children of the Gods"
03. "The Enemy Within"
05. "The Broca Divide"
06. "The First Commandment"
07. "Cold Lazarus"
08. "The Nox"
09. "Brief Candle"
10. "Thor's Hammer"
11. "The Torment of Tantalus"
13. "Fire and Water"
19. "Tin Man"
20. "There But For the Grace of God"
22. "Within the Serpent's Grasp"